Monday, July 11, 2011

Zip's Cafe

Burger #23: Zip's Cafe - Zip's Burger with Cheese 7.50$

Back to it again.  This is one I've been waiting to write for a while.  This is going to be a short review today because, frankly, there isn't much to say about this one in a positive manner. I apologize to everyone for this negative review, I know it's my fist real bad one.
Not my picture.

 
The 9th burger that I had was Zip's Cafe in Mt. Lookout.  I went to Zip's on Sunday, January 31.  Zip's has been around since 1926.  That is a long time for an overpriced burger that was average at best.  Zip's is right in the center of Mt. Lookout's bar scene by Mt. Lookout Tavern, good ole' MLT's!  I went at 1pm with 3 friends and I had to walk 2 blocks to get parking.  There just isn't a better way since it was all street parking.  It was great weather so it was crazy busy.  When you get inside, you see that there are long tables of communal seating so you are arm to arm with your neighbors like at Terry's Turf Club.  There is a train going along the ceiling which was kind of unique.  The rest of the place seemed kind of old, and broken along the walls and trim.  It didn't take long to get seated, but by the time we left there was a huge crowd waiting.
Not my picture.

The burger I had was just the standard Zip's Burger with American cheese.  This is a 1/4 pound patty for 5.25$, which is much smaller than you would think.  It wasn't seasoned, noticeable anyways.  It's cooked well done weather you want it medium or not.  There was nothing good about this burger.  The bun was average, the meat wasn't tasty, just greasy.  Nothing about this experience stuck out, except the fact that I read reviews saying that this was one of the best burgers in the city.  The french fries were average too, which for an extra 2.25$ should've given you more.  That is a total of 7.50$ for my food, and honestly, I went home and ate some more food after this.  Yes, I know, I could've gotten the double burger for 8.75$ with NO side, taking that meal up to 11$ with fries for a meal that wasn't that good.  But my list says the Zip's burger and I was trying to stick with the list for good measure.
Left is the double burger, which you need if you aren't a child sized person.  Right is the mett with a burger. Not my picture.

One of my friends had the train wreck burger for 11$, which is a Zip's burger covered with a grilled mett and shaved ham.  Then he got onion rings for 3.25$ which were much better than the fries.  Also on the menu I noticed the Zip's "famous" chili could be something to try.  Aside from that there is nothing new or unique about the menu.  If I were ever asked to go back to Zip's I probably wouldn't.  I'm sorry this one was just built up WAY too much by people who grew up on their burgers and not knowing what a great burger really is and I feel sorry for those people.
Not my picture.

Also, I promise my next one is going to be a raving review!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment