Monday, July 11, 2011

Oakley Pub and Grill

Burger #7: Oakley Pub and Grill - Soul Burger 7.95$

Not my picture.
Not my picture.

 

After a week of exams and general craziness, it's about that time again for a burger review.  I am once again excited to be writing about my a great burger experience!  I actually had my company write  a few things about this burger because I just couldn't say them and have them come out right.  It was a hilarious burger stop to say the least. Listening to some new Rise Against music while writing this one :)

This is the 8th burger I personally went to but #7 on the big list, also known as Oakley Pub and Grill at 3924 Isabella Ave. This is located right in the middle of Oakley, across the street from another burger place, Habits.  They have won several awards for there burgers and for good reason.  As you walk up to it, the building just seems like any other bar out there.  Nothing particularly sticks out in my mind about why this would be a top 7 burger.  When you walk in, it seemed like just a college sports bar with huge influence from Xavier, UC, Notre Dame, Gators, and Missouri.  It was a Tuesday, but it was pretty busy for a normal weekday.  That's always a good sign if they have the crowd on a weekday.  After looking at the menu the waiter stopped by and asked if there were any questions.  For some reason he felt compelled to mention the Tuscan sandwich, saying that it's great if we're looking for something "exotic", whatever that means.  It was a pizza in a sandwich.  The menu also has a hung over section for weekends.  Everything was very cheap, which is always surprising for #7 on this list.  There is normal pub food apps, a crap cake stuffed portabella, pizzas, etc.  Sandwiches were standard fare.  The fish tacos stuck out as something that looked tasty.
Beer selection.  Not my picture.

Slowly, this list is just getting full of the weird comments that I write when I am eating the  burger.  I have definitely found that to be fair, I have to write comments because nothing is as clear even the next day.  The sights and sounds can be forgotten so very easily at some places sadly...as can the burgers.  On this occasion, it was definitely the random things were said when upon taking our first bites and then as we attempted to finish the burger that made it fun.  My burger this time was the soul burger for 7.95$, very cheap compared to some 12$+ burgers that don't come with sides out there.  That is a whole different category of burger though.  Burgers are nearly half-pounders black Angus chuck meat, with jerk spices, bacon, grilled onion and cheese.  My burger came perfectly cooked at medium, and didn't have the kick that I am used to with jerk seasoning but it did the job very well.  This was very greasy.  Sometimes you just want a greasy ass burger that tastes great, and this was just that!  I am going to have my guest have her input here because I just can't say it better.  She had the black and blue  burger with cajun spices and homemade blue cheese dressing.  The comments start with a head nod and a "I'd give this two thumbs up, but it'd fall out of the bun".  She mentioned that it was the most difficult burger to eat, but it's messiness matches its taste.  And I just have to throw this one in there, "it's all over my face and so it must be good!"  And as the last bites of her burger went down I heard "I wasn't hungry, but I've got to finish all of this!"  Oh and as I writing my comments, I also got a "once again a girl beat you at eating a burger."   All I can say is hahaha, that's so true with this quest, far too many times now.
I have to add that you get fries or their unique slaw, so I had half and half.  If I got back there I would get the slaw hands down.  I am happy to be finding out the I don't hate all slaws out there.  This was another asian slaw, which was fantastic!  The fries were ok, nothing to write home about.
Picture for the bad-ass asian slaw.  Not my picture.

If I go get burgers again after this quest, this will be one of those burgers places I remember next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment