Monday, July 11, 2011

Gordo's Pub and Grill

Burger #35: Gordo's Pub and Grill - Gordo Burger 8.50$

Not my picture.

 

Ok, I am excited to write this review for two reasons, first, it was an amazing burger experience and second, it gives me an excuse to put my business law book down and stop thinking about the US constitution for a short time.  :)  These reviews take so long that I just start a CD and get done with it by the time my review is done.  Me First and the Gimme Gimme's are covering "The Longest Time" by Billy Joel to start this write up!

Just a heads up, after 7 burgers when I went to Gordo's, it was in the  lead. And they are opening a second location in April 2011 in jungle Jim's.

I have been to Gordo's on 3 occasions and it's always been a great new burger to try.   Gordo's is located at 4328 Montgomery Road in Norwood.  Everytime I go there I drive past it because it's in an area that doesn't look like there would be a burger place there.  They have parking, but it's on the right side of the building so when you pass it up you have to turn around to get to the lot.  Gordo's is a single building that probably used to be a regular bar that was bought and renovated.  The bar looks nice and they have several flat screens to watch the games on.  It's a more upscale sports bar feel, with a Xavier college nearby.  I went on a Tuesday night and like most places there was an ample amount of seating.  They seem to have one of the most diverse beer selections I've seen.  There online beer menu is huge, if that's what you're into.  I usually don't have any drinks when I am having a burger, just as another way to be unbiased, because everything tastes great when you are drunk.
Beer selection.  Not my picture.

The menu is quite different from the usual offerings at a sports bar.  This is due to the fact that the chef was a Chef de Cuisine for the Jean-Robert Restaurant Group.  There are loaded cheese fries, quesadillas, mozzarella sticks, and chicken wings which you would expect.  The ones that I didn't would be a goat cheese bruschetta, baked mixed mushrooms, and the nanay egg roll, which is ground beef mixed vegetables with pickled carrots and a soy sesame sauce.  The egg roll sounds interesting to say the least.  The sandwiches seem to be the standard bunch, a reuben, fried fish, ham and cheese, etc.
Gordo's Burger was something close to perfection.  The half pound burger was lean ground beef mixed with bacon, onion compote, and mixed herbs.   You can't go wrong by starting your burger out with bacon INSIDE of it! Top that with roasted poblano peppers, mushrooms, onions, smoked bacon, boursin cheese and mayo (I skipped the mayo, seemed kind of redundant with the creamy cheese).  I ordered my burger medium, like I do all of my burgers.  It was cooked perfectly.  The burger was just the right amount of greasy.  The burger patties were taller then most other places, as opposed to wider, just a weird thought.   I love peppers, and these poblano peppers stick out in my mind still, very tasty.  The bacon was the best I've had on a burger.  I hate when one ingredient takes over ALL of the flavor. This was the case, since all of the flavors could be tasted.  The bun was soft and flavorful as well.  The burger comes with giant steak fries, but you can upgrade for 2$ more to Asian Coleslaw, Saratoga Chips, Small Mac and Cheese , and Vegetables.  I asked the waiter for his recommendation and he said he loves the mac and cheese.  I really liked it, but it was no keystone mac and cheese.
Gordo's burger made with a tall patty rather than wide. Not my picture.

My partner in crime had a strange craving for sweet and savory I think, so she got one of the most unique burgers I have tried.  The BPJ (8$) is a burger topped with fried banana, chunky peanut butter cream cheese, jam and smoked bacon.  I don't remember it coming with fried banana, but the PB & J was a perfect combination with the savory flavor of the burger and the great bacon.  I highly recommend trying a PB & J burger at least once in your life.  Hers came with the steak fries which were giant, but otherwise ordinary.  Other burgers include Jean-Robert (Topped with Lettuce, Grape Compote, Mayonnaise, Bleu Cheese and Goat Cheese), Surf & Turf (Topped with Fresh Crab Meat, Bearnaise and Spring Mix), and the other strange burger the Chocolate Stout (Creamy Goat Cheese Folded into Chocolate Shavings and Cocoa Dust, Mayonnaise and Chocolate Stout Mushroom Sauce).

I am keeping Gordo's on my go to places for a nicer, but still cheap place to take friends who want to try one of the best in the city.  You should go there now if you haven't been yet!  Get out of your rut and try something new.




Remember this guy?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment