Friday, November 23, 2012

Pompeii and Naples - Part 4 - Europe Trip

The audio guide for the city of Pompeii exhibit


This is going to be a short post because the only thing I have left is my day in Pompeii.  Naples is next, sort of, Mt Vesuvius (Vesuvioso I think in Italian) and you are always reminded of the raw power of nature here. Everyday you are looking at a volcano that could kill you whenever it wants.  You live life with more respect for nature when you realize you can die at any time.  The most amazing part is just how eerily quiet Pompeii is when you are alone.  So I went out and made 2 new friends for the day by themselves and who actually told me that I made their time awesome.

The central temple/market from 2000 years ago.
Pompeii was a thriving city 2000 years ago and then one day, boom!  Dead!  And your lasting legacy is being an art exhibit...  Can you imagine what the people who we have body castings would think if they knew they are our exhibits?  We stare and point all day long!

One of the people buried who's body left an empty hole.
They are covering their face from the ashes and heat.

Another body found that showed the person covering their eyes.
It makes you feel their pain to see this in person.
It really changes your whole perspective on things.

The Opera theatre with a tour group going through.

One of my new single serving friends I met in Pompeii

The colosseum was gigantic and 2000 years old. 

One of my new single serving friends I met in Pompeii.
One lives in Australia, the other London.

Pompeii is an actual city.  
Naples has hard times too.
Don't think that just because I showed you all beautiful pictures all the time that that's it.  Naples was the dirtiest city I've ever seen in some parts, but it has so much character too.  Every city has poverty, get over it and appreciate it for the good parts because you can't have the good without the bad.  Below you'll see that by this point I had picked up 4 people to travel with in Europe.  The 2 new ones were on their honeymoon in Amalfi Coast, Naples area, and were lost trying to get to Da Michele, but you can't find shit too easily there. So I helped them out and asked if they wanted to go with me and my 2 new friends from Pompeii.  They had a blast and said that I made their honeymoon awesome because for 2 days they had shit luck!  Confidence extremely boosted at this point.  Hahaha!

She's got this!  E Decumani restaurant again, 5 Euro only!
This is the look of ferocious optimism of finishing that pizza alone!  

5 Euro pizzas are huge and fresh and fucking amazing!
I saved my new Canadian friends on their honeymoon.

The look horror as the owner makes her finish her plate,
but she can't!

Naples is old and with old buildings,
you can't just power was them like in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment