Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gas Light Cafe


Burger #4: Gas Light Café – Gas Light Burger $8.50
 
Pleasant Ridge area. 
Pic borrowed from the interwebs.


The last I checked, I had about 1770 page views on my burger blog!  That’s a ridiculous amount of views since I only post it on facebook and reddit.com.  I just do this for fun, I never really imagine people read my ramblings on here.  If you haven’t been on reddit, it’s a collection of links to other sites like news stories, pictures, music, movies, art, culture, and anything at all really.  I am finding myself with an ample supply of in the next 2 weeks, partly due to school being out for winter break and partly because of my boss being out for the week.  This means I will have more reviews than normal, I mean I should at least try to catch up from being 4 months behind. 


The small menu.
Pic from yelp
This time I’ll be writing about Gas Light Café.  This one was originally #4 on the list and it is the 26th burger I had this year.  My roommate and I went after my accounting class which ends at 9pm on August 31st, 2011.  Gas light is located in the pleasant ridge area across the street from Molly Malone’s.  I have been to Molly Malone’s several times for drinks, live music and birthday dinners and I like the food.  It’s not authentic, but it’s got some new things to try on the menu.  On the other hand, Gas light is only a bar that I went for drinks a few years ago when I was playing rugby with the Cincinnati Kelts.  The beer on tap is dirt cheap and I think this has something to do with customer’s ratings of the food at this venue.  It’s a shady hole in the wall bar that has been around for decades.  They are a no frills kind of place, which I happen to like, but the food isn’t always too good at these establishments.  I’m going to say this up front that the service and food were sub par, and I have no idea how Gas Light made it to #4 on the list. 

My roommate and I walked in at about 9:15pm to see the place vacant.  The only other people were a table of 5 people who must have been regulars because they looked as if they’d had a burger or 2 before.  We sat down at a both to see the waitress and bartender chatting it up in the back.  As we sat down, neither of them said anything to us.  After 10 minutes of sitting around I got up and asked to shown a menu.  I wasn’t drinking that night, so I got a soda and my roommate had a beer. For 2$ for a lite draft you can’t go wrong if you are there to get drunk, which is the reason I went there the first time, so they do get points for that.  I did not get a soda refill the entire night because the waitress never came back.  We ordered the potato skins, mainly because we had such some great potato skins the week before at Anderson Township Pub.  These were not so great, and definitely not the massive pieces of potato we had at ATP either.  The menu has all of the standard pub fare: soups/chili, apps, sandwiches, and burgers. 



Gas Light Burger.  Mine did NOT look this good.
Pic from yelp
There wasn’t anything to mention except that the prices are very reasonable.  Burgers are about 6$ with chips.  Your burger choices are the basic gas light burger, a bacon cheeseburger and a double cheeseburger, like I said, no frills.  I got the gas light burger and added bacon, plus fries are 1.75$.  When the burger came it was a big burger with a great tasting patty, but it was cooked more than medium like I ordered.  They only had one slice of average tasting bacon on the entire burger…I think they forgot the rest of mine because that was some pretty weak sauce right there.  The bun was average, not toasted or warmed in any way.  Like I keep saying, all I ask is that you toast your bun, it gives the burger a much better taste and it takes 30 seconds of your time!  The fries were not cooked enough and tasted like they just got out of the freezer.  These were the worst fries I’ve ever had, so I am going to have to make a new award for Gas Light Café called the “WORST FRIES AWARD”.  I needed to put so much ketchup on these fries so I couldn’t taste them or their coldness.  WTF?  My roommate had the waffle fries, and those were better.  I honestly will give this one of my lower ratings for everything because it was just an overall unpleasant experience. 

I won’t be taking a trip out to Gas Light Café anytime soon for their food and I don’t recommend that you do either.  If you want a cheap beer in a hole in the wall bar in the neighborhood, you’ll have a much better time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment