Monday, July 11, 2011

Arthur's Cafe

Burger #17: Arthur's Cafe - Boursin Burger 9$

 

If I had a nickle for every time I put off writing a review I'd be a rich man right now.  As far as burgers go, I have had 10, but as far as reviews go, I have done 4.  This is not an ideal ratio of course, but these reviews take about an hour to write and a burger takes 15 minutes to eat.  So it looks like the eating is going to win every time.  Plus the great company when I indulge in one of my burgers makes it that much more fun!

So this being the 5th burger I've had and #17 on "the list", I took a stop over to Hyde Park for one of the consistently highest rated burgers in the city, Arthur's Cafe.  This was about my 3rd or 5th time going to Arthur's, but it's been a while so I went back for a little refresher on why this place rocks.  I think everyone in the city has been to Arthur's so this will be an easy review.  Located in the pedestrian friendly Hyde Park square, Arthur's has been around for over 50 years and has had quite a few regulars including a cartoonist who would make paintings of the other regulars.  The pictures are pretty entertaining to look at when you first notice them.  I went on a Thursday and even then it was packed for dinner, but there was no wait.  I know there is quite a wait on the weekends so be prepared or make a reservation.

The bar has a great list of beers, even the taps are more than you'd expect at this type of place.  I saw bottles of three philosophers, OTR, dogfish head, Kentucky bourbon barrel ale, stone, and bells to name a few.  I know these names so much better after going to the Cincinnati Beerfest a week ago!  I thought I'd bring some of those names up, because they were pretty tasty.  The draft beers new holland oatmeal stout, two brothers domaine dupage and rivertown winter ale.  I will say that this was the best winter ale I have had, so definitely try it if you get the chance.

On my list this time was the Boursin Burger for 9$.  This was a half pound burger made with 90% lean ground beef, which is probably half the fat of a normal burger that you would make at home which is a 80% lean cut, and some restaurants would use much worse than that.  It's ok though because I caught up on my calorie intake when they added a heaping dollop of a heated, herb boursin cheese.  This is a cheese with a creamy consistency which I like to dip my fries in when I have it on a burger.  I ordered my burger medium and it came out perfectly cooked and juicy, even though it was made with a lower fat cut of meat.  You definitely want to try to not get these burgers well done since it would be too dry.  The bun was tasty and soft.  Usually this would come with fries, but I upgraded to the sweet potato fries for 1$ extra.  Other burgers to note are the blackened blue burger and the gourmet burger (goat cheese, spinach, roasted red peppers, and pesto mayonnaise). If you come in on Sunday, Monday or Tuesdays they have burger madness, 7$ burger with unlimited toppings.  The menu does ask, "please limit your servings of cheese to six!"...because in America we need at least a few dozen slices of cheese on our burgers!  I can't believe they had to post that on the menu, because you know this had to happen on a fairly regular basis for it to be written on a menu.

Well that's all for today.  It is about 12:40 am on a Sunday and I guess I should get some sleep.  I am going to need my energy to take down my next burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment