Monday, July 11, 2011

Keystone Bar and Grill

Burger #9: Keystone Bar and Grill - keystone burger 7.99$

 

Ok, I know it's been farrr too long since I have written one of these reviews.  I have been to 4 of the 40 burgers joints in the past month so my resolution is going great!  My waistline is not doing as well since I packed those in around thanksgiving and Xmas time.

The 4th burger that I hit was #9 on the list, Keystone Bar and Grill.  It's located in Covington and is across from Chalk.  It looks like any other bar from the outside.  That's the funny thing about great food, it's hidden and you have to search it out.  On the inside it's a dimly lit bar with quite a few pictures of celebrities and sports items. There was an abnormally large amount of people here on a Tuesday night at 8pm to say the least. The beer selection is definitely NOT sub par like some other bars in Covington.  The had Kentucky bourbon barrel beer, which is awesome.  I decided on a belgium beer to go with my burger.  It is probably because Keystone is not your normal pub food.  There are the normal foods, and then there are the kinds of foods that bring will bring me back to this establishment.  One of these is the extensive Mac n' Cheese menu which is half price on Mondays.  The other thing is the quesadilla menu, which is half price on Tuesdays.  You can't go wrong with either of these choices in my book.

My partners in crime for this little venture on a cold Tuesday night went with the mac n' cheese menu.  These are some pretty serious portions of this old comfort food.  Being from Wisconsin, I never thought I'd be praising the mac n' cheese in Kentucky of all places, but I am.  I feel like I'm cheating on my home state here, but it was just that awesome!  The first mac n' cheese was the Black Sabbath (8.50$) which was a steak and mushroom deal.  There were some pretty nice sized pieces of very tasty steak in there.   The next was the Buffalo Springfield (7.50$) which had a buffalo chicken mix in it.  Again, very generous pieces of chicken and alot of taste.  I am always partial to wing sauce, so I have to say that this was my favorite of the two.  I was amused by some of the other names they used such as Pink Floyd (bacon and caramelized onion), Red Hot Chili Peppers (jalapeño and tomatoes), and Green Day ( spinach and sun-dried tomato).  Also, my friends tried the potato soup and the general consensus was that you could probably skip this side as it was lacking the viscosity that they were expecting.

I guess I should move on to the burger, you know the main reason for this trip.  The list said to get the keystone burger, a 1/2 lb ground beef patty with lettuce, tomato and onion.  Unlike some of the burgers on the list, this was a no frills burger.  It was a great burger with the right amount of seasoning that complements the meat, it doesn't over power it.  For being just a plain burger it was pretty damn good.  My only problem was that I ordered it medium, I order all of my burgers medium just for another measuring tool, and it came well done.  It was smaller than it should've been because it was over cooked.  The fresh cut fries were a pleasant side and they were cooked just right, golden with a little wiggle.  They have other burgers you can try with sun dried tomatoes + artichokes, chili, or bbq + bacon + caramelized onion.

Even though my burger was a bit over done, I would still recommend this restaurant as a weeknight stop for all of it's interesting and delicious menu items and beer / bourbon selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment